MDA STEM ED
Event: MDA STEM Education Development Summer Workshop
Registration Date: July 15, 2018
Workshop Dates: July 16-20, 2018
Registration Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Workshop Time: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Location: Richmond, Virginia
MDA STEM Education Development (STEM ED) is a formal professional development program for K-8 teachers and informal educators. STEM ED begins with a week-long summer workshop during which educators explore STEM concepts in real-world contexts and develop STEM-related instructional activities aligned with state standards and rooted in research-based pedagogical strategies. Workshop activities include:
- STEM concept presentations and hands-on sessions with subject matter experts
- Educational excursions to museums and other attractions
- Demonstrations of STEM experiments and emerging technologies
- Discussion of research-based strategies for STEM instruction
- Standards-aligned instructional activity development
- STEM educational kits for classroom use
Following the workshop, MDA STEM professionals and university partners will continue to support participants throughout the school year as they implement STEM instructional activities. STEM ED participants accrue a minimum of 45 professional development contact hours toward teacher recertification.
The two-part application process requires completion of an educator application and a professional recommendation form. For the first part, applicants must complete the educator application, which requests a professional reference. Once the educator application is submitted NLT April 15, professional references will then have two weeks to complete the professional recommendation form NLT April 30.
STEM ED Resources:
- Applicant Guide
- Educator Application
- Professional Reference
- DoD STEM Blog: "MDA STEM Program Office Hosts Inaugural STEM Education
Please direct any questions to STEMOutreach@mda.mil.